"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. It's going to be a frigid Election Day in Wilmington. According to Weather.com, temperatures will only hit 44° on Tuesday. The good news is that the sun will be out all day and there is a zero percent chance of rain as you head out to the polls.
2. After months of being peppered with campaign ads, it's finally time to voice your choice. Today is Election Day across the country, and polls in Wilmington will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. If you need to find out who your choices will be or where to vote, be sure to check out our sample ballot and precinct finder. And visit Patch throughout the day as we will provide all of your Election Day updates as they happen.
3. It's a big day at the polls, but it's also a big day on the pitch as well. After the boys soccer team cruised past Marblehead and the girls team snuck past the same foe on Sunday, the teams will host a quarterfinal doubleheader on Tuesday. First on the field are the boys at 4 p.m. before the Lady Wildcats are in action at 6 p.m. Check back with Patch for complete coverage of both games.
4. Patch is helping out the victims of Hurricane Sandy, and you can join us. Visit this article to find out how Patch is chipping in, and what you can do to help.
5. Today is a critical day to follow Wilmington Patch on social media. We are going to be updating from the polls throughout the day, so you'll want to join our following of 1,845 Facebook fans. All you have to do to join that following is log onto our Facebook page and click "Like." We've also got 1,174 Twitter followers supporting us, so be sure to follow us there as well. Thanks for the support, Wilmington, and happy Election Day!