After losing the lead it held for much of the North Division 2 quarterfinal, there was no quit in the Wilmington High School girls basketball team. They'd been there, done that.
The Lady Wildcats leaned on the experience they gained in reaching last year's semifinal round to do the same on Sunday. After Danvers knotted the score at 47-47 with just over one minute to play, Michelle Woods hit several critical shots and Wilmington scored the rest of the game's points en route to a 53-47 win. Woods led the locals with 20 points.
Thanks to the victory, the Wildcats earned a date with unbeaten top seed Reading, which is seeking a second consecutive state championship behind Olivia Healy, considered by most the top player in the state.
Tip off comes Thursday at 7 p.m. in Woburn with a berth in the sectional final on the line.
Are you a big fan of the Wildcats? You'll also want to see:
- Wildcats Hockey Bounces Back to Earn Semifinal Berth
- Wildcats Enjoying Rare Run to New England Track Meet
- Wildcats 'Learn How to Win' Under Coach Jay Keane
- Wilmington Boys Hockey Opens With Ugly Playoff Win
- Late DiNatale Goal Sparks Wildcats to Rivalry Win
- Lady Wildcat Seniors Honored Before Key Win