UDPATE: Tewksbury House Explosion Caused by Marijuana Operation

Tewksbury Police are investigating if the blast is suspicious. Three people were transported by helicopter late Tuesday night.

Wilmington firefighters were among those in Tewksbury to load burn victims into waiting helicopters. (Matt Schooley Photo)
Wilmington firefighters were among those in Tewksbury to load burn victims into waiting helicopters. (Matt Schooley Photo)

Wilmington firefighters were among those dispatched to Tewksbury on Tuesday night, helping care for three victims who were transported by helicopter to Boston hospitals following a large home explosion.

Firefighters and investigators were working late Tuesday night into the early morning Wednesday hours following a house explosion on Astle Street in Tewksbury.

Tewksbury Police Chief Timothy Sheehan said it is too early in the investigation to determine if the blast has been deemed suspicious.

He said there is the possibility that two individuals left the scene prior to police, fire and EMS arrival, but added that police are still tracking down leads to determine what connection that may have had to the incident.

All three victims were Tewksbury residents, however, their physical address was not 22 Astle Street, where the explosion took place, Sheehan said. According to Sheehan, one victim is a 20-year-old male, the second is a 21-year-old male and the third is an 18-year-old female.

Two of the victims were transported by medical helicopter to Brigham and Women’s Hospital and another was taken to Mass General Hospital, also by helicopter. Sheehan said it is unclear if the injuries are life threatening, but added that each suffered significant burns to their arms and face.

Police were called to the scene at 9:17 p.m. The victims were loaded into ambulances and brought to the Wal-Mart parking lot less than a mile away, where the helicopters landed. Each of the three people transported was conscious and talking to first responders following the explosion.

Wilmington firefighters assisted in transporting the victims to the Wal-Mart parking lot, and helped load them onto the waiting helicopters.

Officers blocked the entrance to Astle Street, which is located within several hundred feet of Main Street. According to Sheehan, the home is set back in the woods at the end of a long driveway.

The house is uninhabitable following the explosion, which also caused heavy fire to spread into the attic. Sheehan said the windows were blown out, damage was done to the frame of the home, and some of the roof collapsed.

Just before midnight, arson investigators, the State Fire Marshal, police and firefighters remained on scene. The heavy fire was controlled by around 11 p.m.

JackU March 26, 2014 at 07:07 AM
Sounds like a meth operation gone bad.
Shawn Taggart March 27, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Whats an udpate?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »