Fireworks are scheduled for Saturday and Tuesday in Wilmington. But a working fire started up unexpectedly on Friday night as the Fourth of July celebration got underway.
As residents filled the area around for the , the deep frier outside the Wilmington Kiwanis Club tent went up in flames, providing a dramatic start to the weekend.
Wilmington Fire Lt. Gary Donovan said the fire was going for about five minutes before the department received the call. As the minutes went on, the flames grew further out of control and crews went to work in putting it out.
Donovan said a nearby truck fed a combination of water and foam through the hoses because water would have made the flames worse. The foam helped douse the flames, and there were no injuries as a result of the incident.
Though Donovan said this was a first in the decades he's worked the town's Fourth of July celebration.
"I've been called to Town Common for medical reasons, but this is the first time we've received a fire call like that," said Donovan.