On June 18 at the Tewksbury/Wilmington Lodge of Elks, the Wilmington Sons of Italy held its annual scholarship awards dinner. This event closes out another year of philanthropy and community involvement by the Wilmington Sons Of Italy.
The scholarships are given to members' children, grandchildren, and relatives who meet the criteria set out by the committee. Members have to be members in good standing for at least four years.
This year five $2,000.00 scholarships were awarded to students from Wilmington and the surrounding area. The awards were given to Ashley White, John Rankin IV, Marina Boebel, Gianna Busconne, Nathan McGilvaray.
The Scholarships were as follows:
- Ashley White received the Past Presidents' Award.
- John Rankin IV was the recipient of the Christopher S. DiCecca Memorial Award. Chris was a long-time member, and past president of the lodge. His wife Beverly is still a member.
- Marina Boebel received the Rev. Francis W. Mackin Memorial Award. Mackin was a beloved priest from St. Thomas and was the Lodge Chaplain.
- Gianna Buscone was the recipient of the Laura Caira Award. Laura and two others, Frances Gray and George Murray, founded the Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli Lodge (Wilmington Sons of Italy) and she continues to hold an office in the lodge to this day.
- Nathan McGilvray received the Gerald Esposito Memorial Award. Jerry was a charter member of the lodge who died at a young age from cancer, leaving a wife and four small children. He was the first of our members to pass.
The officers and members of the Wilmington Lodge Sons of Italy wish to congratulate the scholarship winners and their proud parents on a well deserved reward.