"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Sunshine may finally return to Wilmington to close out the week. According to Weather.com, temperatures will hit 78° on Friday. After several days of rain, there is just a 20 percent chance of precipitation as skies will be partly cloudy and mostly sunny throughout the day.
2. In case you missed it, the town received an important piece of news on Thursday. The Department of Environmental Protection dismissed both Wilmington High School appeals, and the town will now begin plans to move forward with construction. Check back later Friday to find out what Kevin MacDonald, the spokesman for one of the appeals, had to say about the decision and the future of the project.
3. Several Wilmington teams are in action on Friday. The golf team hosts a match against Stoneham beginning at 3:30 p.m., the field hockey team plays a tilt against Belmont at the same time and the volleyball team hits the court against Belmont beginning at 4 p.m. The football team, meanwhile, makes the short trip to Woburn for a 7 p.m. kick off.
4. Have something you want to see on Wilmington Patch? If you have a news tip or something you're hoping to see on the site, all of you have to do is e-mail Local Editor Matt Schooley.
5. Let's continue the climb towards 2,000! We now have 1,638 Facebook fans as we recently moved past our latest social media goal. All you have to do to join our fan base is log on to the Wilmington Patch Facebook page and click "Like." It's an easy and fun way to keep up on everything local. Already a fan? Help spread the word as we continue towards 1,700 on our way to 2,000 and beyond. We also went over 1,000 Twitter followers last month, so join us and help push Patch towards 2,000. Thanks for your support, Wilmington!