"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. The weekend begins with some cold temperatures in town. According to Weather.com, temperatures will only hit 33° to start the weekend in Wilmington. There a 20 percent chance of precipitation on the day with increasing clouds in the afternoon.
2. Wilmington celebrates the holidays over the next several days. The town's tree lighting festivities kick off on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. while the Women of Wilmington host the second annual Festival of Trees on Saturday and Sunday. Check back in the upcoming days for coverage of all the festivities.
3. Did you miss our coverage of Wednesday's powerful Substance Abuse Awareness Night? Be sure to read all about the event, which encouraged parents to speak to their children about the dangers of drug addiction.
4. The show must go on, and it will on Friday night. The Wilmington High School Lamplighters Drama Guild continues its fall production on Thursday night as it opens the curtains on Julius Caesar at 7 p.m. Performances will run on Thursday and Friday at 7 p.m. and again on Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for students.
5. Have a great holiday light display in Wilmington? You could win $100,000 for Wilmington Public Schools. Enter your house in our Deck the House Contest and your home could be a national winner, or you could have your electric bill paid this holiday season. Do Wilmington proud!