"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. The week closes out with more mild conditions, though some rain is possible. According to Weather.com, temperatures will peak at 43° on Friday as the weekend arrives. A mix of clouds and sun in the morning will give way to a 30 percent chance of a few rain showers in the afternoon.
2. It's the boys basketball team's turn to hit the home court on Friday. The freshmen, JV and varsity games against Melrose are slated for 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., and 7 p.m., respectively. The girls team, meanwhile, travels to face Melrose with the same game times.
3. Did you catch all of our coverage from Wednesday's School Committee meeting? In addition to the breaking news that the town is preparing to demolish the high school gymnasium over February vacation, we also provided a look at the district's plans to analyze its school safety.
4. We also provided you with a pair of police stories on Thursday. First up was the police log, while we also provided news of a report out of Roslindale of a Wilmington man arrested for heroin possession.
5. Help us reach our next social media milestone! Our total continues to rise and we're now up to 1,960 Facebook fans. All you have to do to join that following is log onto our Facebook page and click "Like" to help push us past 2,000. We've also got 1,350 Twitter followers supporting us, so be sure to follow us there as well. Thanks for the support, Wilmington!