"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. After a windy Thursday, things should settle down on Friday in Wilmington. According to Weather.com, temperatures only hit 32° as the weekend arrives. Intervals of clouds and sunshine will roll through the area with a 20 percent chance of flurries on the day.
2. Wildcat teams return to the hardwood on Friday. The Wilmington boys basketball team hopes to turn around a disappointing season with a home tripleheader. The freshmen, JV and varsity games are slated for 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively, against Stoneham. The girls team, now three wins withing a playoff berth, travels to face Stoneham with the same schedule.
3. Winter's slowly winding down, but there's still time to learn how to skate. Ristuccia Arena offers a Learn-to-Skate class each week from 4-4:50 p.m. or 5:20-6:10 p.m. You can learn the basics of freestyle skating, which includes jumps and spins. There is also a Learn-to-Skate hockey class as well. For more information, visit wilmingtonfsc.com.
4. Meet Wilmington's newest police officers. In case you missed it, five new officers were sworn in on Wednesday during a ceremony at the Wilmington Police Department.
5. Are you following us on social media? We're now over 2,000 Facebook fans up to 2,012. All you have to do to join that following is log onto our Facebook page and click "Like" to help us start pushing towards 3,000. We've also got 1,406 Twitter followers supporting us, so be sure to follow us there as well. Thanks for the support, Wilmington!