"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. The first major snowstorm in years is upon us. According to Weather.com, temperatures will hit 33° on Friday as the weekend, and a likely blizzard, arrive. There is a 100 percent chance of snow on the day with more than a foot likely by Saturday, and possibly close to two feet.
2. During the storm, there's one place to go for all your information on what's happening in Wilmington. Be sure to visit our Storm Information Center where you can find in depth news on the storm. We will update the story as news happens, so visit throughout the day.
3. The first piece of storm news happened on Thursday. Superintendent of Schools Joanne Benton announced, after initially calling for an early dismissal, that school will be cancelled on Friday in town.
4. You are our eyes in the field during Friday's storm. If you see something going on, e-mail Local Editor Matt Schooley. And if it's safe, snap a picture as well.
5. And in addition to our Storm Information Center, there are two other great ways to get up to the minute news. Follow Wilmington Patch on Facebook and Twitter to get your storm news as it happens. Stay safe, Wilmington!