"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. There will be some sunshine in the area as 2012 comes to a close. According to Weather.com, temperatures will only hit 33° on Monday, the final day of the year. The good news is that there is a zero percent chance of precipitation on New Year's Eve to go along with a mixture of sunshine and clouds during the day.
2. Need to head out on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? Make sure you know what's open and closed. On Sunday we provided you with a list of local businesses' hours for the holiday, so be sure to check it out if you need to make any last minute purchases on Monday or Tuesday.
3. It was a snowy weekend in Wilmington. The area was blanketed with a decent amount of the powdery white stuff, which lead to a bit of an issue at one area business when a plow hit a gas line, causing a leak. But there was good news out of the storm as well as it gave residents the chance to head outside and play in the snow.
4. Did you catch our latest police log? This weekend's stories included a look at the latest police calls, like a possibly stolen plow. Our other stories in recent days featured the Home of the Week, a new delicious looking recipe and headlines from surrounding towns in News Nearby.
5. Are you a fan of Wilmington Patch on social media? Our total continues to rise and we're now up to 1,934 Facebook fans. All you have to do to join that following is log onto our Facebook page and click "Like." We've also got 1,318 Twitter followers supporting us, so be sure to follow us there as well. Thanks for the support, Wilmington!