"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. After a wet couple days, the week ends with some sunshine. According to Weather.com, temperatures will only hit 36° on Friday. But skies will be sunny throughout the day and there is a zero percent chance of precipitation as we head into the weekend.
2. Saturday is your chance to honor the lives lost in the recent school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Resident Stacie Murphy organized a candle light vigil for the victims of the Newtown, Conn., tragedy. It will take place at 6 p.m. on Saturday night on Town Common. Be sure to bring a candle to light in honor of the victims.
3. Several Wilmington sports teams are in action to close out the week. The boys hockey team plays North Andover in the final of the Haverhill Tournament after thumping Masconomet, 7-0, in the first round thanks in part to a goal and three assists by Cam Owens. The wrestling team grapples at 10 a.m. in the Marshfield Tournament and the boys basketball team plays in the second and final day of its own Knights of Columbus Tournament at the high school.
4. The library will be showing a classic movie on Friday. In the next installment of the books to movies film series, Wilmington Memorial Library will screen the movie Mary Poppins, based on the book by P.L. Travers. The movie begins at 10 a.m.
5. Are you a fan of Wilmington Patch on social media? Our total continues to rise and we're now up to 1,932 Facebook fans. All you have to do to join that following is log onto our Facebook page and click "Like." We've also got 1,314 Twitter followers supporting us, so be sure to follow us there as well. Thanks for the support, Wilmington!