"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. It will be a wet and gloomy end to the week before Christmas. According to Weather.com, temperatures settle in around 48° on Friday as the weekend arrives. There is a 70 percent chance of rain on the day with the precipitation likely coming to an end in the evening hours.
2. It's another basketball Friday for the Wildcats. The Wilmington boys team hosts Reading with freshmen, JV and varsity games at 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively. The girls team, meanwhile, travels to face the same foes with their games beginning at the same time.
3. You can join the library for a book discussion to close the week. The book of the month was announced 30 days before the date of the discussion. Copies are available for pick up at the kids’ check out desk. Today's discussion, for children ages nine and up, begins at 3:45 p.m.
4. Winter's a great time to skate, and you can learn how on Friday. Ristuccia Arena offers a Learn-to-Skate class each week from 4-4:50 p.m. or 5:20-6:10 p.m. You can learn the basics of freestyle skating, which includes jumps and spins. There is also a Learn-to-Skate hockey class as well. For more information, visit wilmingtonfsc.com.
5. Are you a fan of Wilmington Patch on social media? Our total continues to rise and we're now up to 1,915 Facebook fans. All you have to do to join that following is log onto our Facebook page and click "Like." We've also got 1,280 Twitter followers supporting us, so be sure to follow us there as well. Thanks for the support, Wilmington!