"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. It'll be a pristine day to end the week in Wilmington. According to Weather.com, temperatures rise to about 48° on Friday as the weekend arrives. Skies will be sunny throughout the day and and there is a zero percent chance of rain.
2. As of tonight, it's officially basketball season. The girls basketball team opens its season with a home game at 7 p.m. against Woburn while the boys team begins its season as well on the road at 7 p.m. against the same foe.
3. Giving blood saves lives, and it can also earn you a snack too. Wilmington Congregational Church holds a blood drive from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Friday. Anyone who gives blood will be given a free appetizer or dessert from Chili's. For more details on blood donation, visit www.redcrossblood.org.
4. Winter's a great time to skate, and you can learn how on Friday. Ristuccia Arena offers a Learn-to-Skate class each week from 4-4:50 p.m. or 5:20-6:10 p.m. You can learn the basics of freestyle skating, which includes jumps and spins. There is also a Learn-to-Skate hockey class as well. For more information, visit wilmingtonfsc.com.
5. Time still remains for you to Deck the House and win big. You could win $100,000 for Wilmington Public Schools if you enter your house in our Deck the House Contest. Your home could be a national winner, or you could have your electric bill paid this holiday season. Do Wilmington proud!