My favorite dish at Carrabba's is perhaps the simplest one on the menu. Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu, Tag Pic Pac for short, is made from just a handful of simple ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen.
Tomatoes, garlic, basil and spaghetti combine to make the perfect pasta dish. The last time I dined there I asked one of the chefs how to make it and he gladly offered the recipe. I couldn't believe how easy it was--just a few simple steps. You can add a grilled chicken breast or sauteed shrimp for protein.
Pair it with a peppery arugula salad, crunchy garlic bread and a glass of red wine and you've got yourself a little slice of heaven in about twenty minutes.
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp large sliced garlic
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch crushed black pepper
- 3 or 4 pieces fresh basil, chopped
- 6 oz thin spaghetti or linguine
- Place tomatoes with their juice in a sauté pan
- Place the garlic and extra virgin olive oil into a sauté pan and heat over a low flame, stirring occasionally. Cook to soften garlic and release flavor into the oil. Do not brown the garlic or it will over cook. Let garlic and oil mixture cool.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice mixture along with the salt and pepper. Stir until mixed. Add the basil and stir again. Return flame to medium low.
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until cooked. Drain well and add to the sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce and serve in a pasta bowl.