Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu
A mouth watering pasta dish-quick enough for a weeknight meal but elegant enough to serve to company.
My favorite dish at Carrabba's is perhaps the simplest one on the menu. Tagliarini Picchi Pacchiu, Tag Pic Pac for short, is made from just a handful of simple ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen.
Tomatoes, garlic, basil and spaghetti combine to make the perfect pasta dish. The last time I dined there I asked one of the chefs how to make it and he gladly offered the recipe. I couldn't believe how easy it was--just a few simple steps. You can add a grilled chicken breast or sauteed shrimp for protein.
Pair it with a peppery arugula salad, crunchy garlic bread and a glass of red wine and you've got yourself a little slice of heaven in about twenty minutes.
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp large sliced garlic
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch crushed black pepper
- 3 or 4 pieces fresh basil, chopped
- 6 oz thin spaghetti or linguine
- Place tomatoes with their juice in a sauté pan
- Place the garlic and extra virgin olive oil into a sauté pan and heat over a low flame, stirring occasionally. Cook to soften garlic and release flavor into the oil. Do not brown the garlic or it will over cook. Let garlic and oil mixture cool.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice mixture along with the salt and pepper. Stir until mixed. Add the basil and stir again. Return flame to medium low.
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until cooked. Drain well and add to the sauce. Toss the pasta with the sauce and serve in a pasta bowl.