Report: Avalon Oaks Fire Started by Gas Grill
According to New England Cable News, the fire that destroyed an entire apartment building on Avalon Drive was started by a second story gas grill.
According to New England Cable News, the four-alarm fire that has left dozens of Avalon Oaks residents homeless was caused by a gas grill on a second story porch.
Fire Chief Ed Bradbury confirmed the information to the news station on Friday night. Fire crews are likely to be working through the night as they overhaul the building and monitor to make sure no further flames kick up.
"Right now, it's a pretty good idea we had some involvement of a gas grill on the second floor balcony," Bradbury told NECN.
The fire broke out at about 4 p.m. in the midst of the blizzard that is still coming down in Wilmington. The snowy conditions made it difficult for crews fighting the flames, but Lt. John Brown confirmed to Patch on Friday night that no one was injured during the fire.
Red Cross Communications Manager Ashley Studley told Patch that while it's unclear exactly how many residents were displaced by the fire, they have put up 10 adults and 3 children at a hotel for the weekend. They will meet with families after the weekend to assess what their needs are.
Check back with Wilmington Patch for more details as they become available.