Five Things You Need to Know Today, Oct. 13
Rain in the forecast for Wednesday.
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
1. You can expect Thursday to be a wet one in Wilmington. According to Weather.com, there's a 70 percent chance of rain throughout the day. Rain will be heaviest early before afternoon showers roll through. Temperatures will reach 65° during the day.
2. Residents will know in about two months whether there will be a new high school or not, and on Thursday night they'll have another chance to share their thoughts on the project. The High School Building Committee hosts a public forum tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the current school's auditorium.
3. Two Wilmington teams were scheduled to host games on Thursday, but at least one of them won't happen due to the rain. The girls field hockey game scheduled for 6 p.m. against Stoneham was cancelled long in advance of the contest. The golf team is slated to host Arlington at 3:30 p.m. if the rain holds off.
4. It's not Halloween quite yet, but things are getting spooky on Thursday. The Gravestone Girls, Brenda White and Maggie Sullivan, will be at Wilmington Memorial Library at 7 p.m. to show cemetery art, history and symbolism from local burial grounds.
5. Some students in town will be smiling and saying cheese today. That's because it's picture day at Shawsheen Elementary School throughout Thursday. Make sure the kids are looking sharp today!