Five Things You Need to Know Today, June 29
Fourth of July kicks off tonight on Wilmington Town Common.
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
1. There should be plenty of sunshine as Wilmington kicks off its week of fun. According to Weather.com, temperatures will spike up to 91° on Friday, which is the first day of the town's annual Fourth of July festivities. Skies will be partly cloudy and there is a 20 percent chance of rain on the day.
2. The Fourth of July is Wednesday... but not in Wilmington! The town kicks off its annual festivities on Friday as Rotary offers dinner from 6-7:30 p.m. for $8, the carnival is open from 6-11:30 p.m., the horseshoe tournament gets underway at 6 p.m. and the ladies two-mile walk starts at 6:30 p.m. Check back with Wilmington Patch over the upcoming days for complete coverage of all the fun.
3. Bruins camp continues in Wilmington on Friday. Young players will skate at Ristuccia Arena during the second day of the team's annual Development Camp. The public can watch free of charge and the camp includes an on-ice practice at 11 a.m. before an on-ice power skating session at 12:45 p.m.
4. We want you to tell us where the best spots are in town for a variety of categories. Our Readers' Choice contest is back, so be sure to visit our article homepage that will connect you to 25 categories where you can make nominations. Then check back later this summer and vote in the poll for your favorite.
5. Now that we're past 1,400... we want to keep moving on to 1,500! We now have 1,403 Facebook fans, passing our most recent goal on Wednesday. All you have to do to join our fan base is log on to the Wilmington Patch Facebook page and click "Like." It's an easy and fun way to keep up on everything local. Already a fan? Help spread the word as we continue towards 1,500 on our way to 2,000. Thanks for your support, Wilmington!