Five Things You Need to Know Today, June 22
Library hosts Big Wheels event on a hot Friday in Wilmington.
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
1. By comparison, Friday will be a cool day in Wilmington. According to Weather.com, temperatures will "only" hit 91° to close out the week. Skies will be mostly sunny early before turning cloudy later in the day. There is a 50 percent chance of thunderstorms later in the day.
2. Local children will have the chance to see their favorite big rigs up close on Friday. Wilmington Memorial Library holds Big Wheels at 10 a.m. in the Wildwood Street parking lot behind the library. During the event, there will be vehicles from the Department of Public Works, Fire Department and Police Department and children will be able to hop in to see what it's like inside.
3. Your kids can learn how to use a video camera on Wednesday, and at no charge. WCTV is teaching basic camera skills and tricks to making videos at 10 a.m. or 12 p.m. Following the one-hour sessions, children will have the chance to check out video equipment if interested.
4. Police asked residents on Thursday to be on the lookout for non-permitted solicitors. Residents received a community alert during the afternoon hours after police received at least three calls of solicitors in the area. All salesmen should have photo identification, and homeowners should call police if a solicitor does not have a credential.
5. Thanks to a few new followers early in the week, Patch's Facebook status is moving towards its next milestone. We now have 1,389 fans, thanks to four new followers on Thursday. All you have to do to join our fan base is log on to our Facebook page and click "Like." It's an easy and fun way to keep up on everything local. Already a fan? Help spread the word as we continue towards 1,400 on our way to 2,000. Thanks for your support, Wilmington!