Church Street Fire Originated in Kitchen
The fire at 8 Church Street yesterday originated in the first-floor kitchen.
The fire at 8 Church Street yesterday started in the kitchen, Lt. Rick McClellan said today. The fire originated from the first-floor apartment. The dog and two cats were last seen inside the apartments and are presumed to be deceased.
After over two hours of fighting the fire and heavy smoke, Wilmington firefighters, along with firefighters from North Reading, Andover and Tewskbury, were able to stop the blaze.
"Part of the first floor collapsed into the basement; part of the second floor was in the first floor," said Lt. McClellan.
After investigating the scene, the Wilmington Fire Department has determined the fire started in the first-floor kitchen, in the apartment where tenant Denise Dausch was residing. She was not home at the time, however, someone else had been home at the time the fire broke out.
Scott Cioffi, the upstairs tenant and owner of Body Express, was also home when the fire broke out. Everyone made it out of the house without injuries, however the pets, Cioffi's dog and Dausch's cats were last known to be inside the apartments when the fire took hold.
A donation fund has been set for Scott Cioffi. If you would like to donate, click on this link for donation information and instructions.