5 Things You Need To Know Today, Monday, Feb. 18
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person on your team.
Here are 5 pieces of information designed to get your week off to a flying start and to help make you the smartest person at the coffee shop.
1. Your Local 3-Day Weather Forecast:
- According to the NWS, today will be sunny, with a high near 31. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a west wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
- Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 20. West wind 6 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
- Tuesday A chance of rain and snow before 11am, then rain likely. Increasing clouds, with a high near 45. South wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tuesday Night A chance of rain and snow before 2am, then a slight chance of snow between 2am and 3am. Patchy fog before 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. South wind 8 to 15 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Breezy.
- Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 17.
2. Reader Comment of the Day: "Congratulations to the all the Pop Warner cheerleaders, coaches, and staff members. Cheerleading is not longer just shaking pom poms. These girls are amazing athletes. A big thumbs up to all the parents of these girls for the support, time commitment and sacrifice they provide which is a vital component for success. I would offer a suggestion that the bald guy in the back of the picture be taken off the Board and be given the job of shaking pom poms. He might be able to handle that with a little training while you amazing athletes show what true skill is. Best wishes to the girls for success in Florida." Reader Kevin McDonald, commenting on the story, "Wilmington Pop Warner Football Team, Cheerleaders Honored."
3. It's Happening Today: Coming off a heartbreaking 3-1 loss to No. 4 Reading, the Wilmington High boys ice hockey team is back in action tonight. The Wildcats are on the road to take on a talented Acton-Boxborough squad.
4. Something You Might Not Know about President's Day: There has long been some dispute over Washington's actual birth date. According to the Gregorian (Modern) calendar, Washington's Birthday is Feb. 22. However, prior to 1752 (and at the time of Washington's actual birth), the Julian calendar was used. And according to the Julian calendar, his date of birth is Feb. 11.
5. And Another Thing You Might Not Know: Connecticut, Illinois, Missouri and Mew York still recognize Lincoln's Birthday, Feb. 12, as a state holiday. Alabama, meanwhile, ignores Lincoln completely and celebrates today as "Washington and Jefferson Day."